Permits to carry a concealed weapon in the State of Alabama are issued by the Sheriff’s Office to persons over the age of 21. In order to obtain a permit or renew an expired permit, you must come to the Sheriff’s Office with your driver’s license or other picture identification. The Sheriff’s Office is required to run a criminal history on all persons requesting a pistol permit.
There are some people who are prohibited by certain State and Federal laws from obtaining a pistol permit:
1. No person who has been convicted of committing or attempting to commit a crime of violence;
2. No person who is a drug addict;
3. No person who is an habitual drunkard;
4. No person convicted of a felony or any degree of theft;
5. No person discharged from the armed forces under dishonorable conditions;
6. No person who has been adjudged by a court as mentally incompetent;
7. No citizen of the United States who has renounced his citizenship;
8. No person convicted of the Family Violence Act, even though the charge may be a misdemeanor;
9. No person illegally or unlawfully in the United States;
10. No person who has been convicted of an offense involving firearms;
11. No person who has been convicted of an offense involving explosives;
12. No person who is not deemed suitable or proper by the Sheriff’s Office.
It is important to remember that issuance of a pistol permit is at the discretion of the Sheriff’s Office.
The fee for obtaining a pistol permit is $25.00 for persons between the ages of 21-61, and $1.00 for persons aged 62 or older. This fee is payable by cash, check, or money order.
Pistol permits may be obtained Monday through Friday between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m.
In 2001, the State of Alabama passed legislation recognizing handgun licenses issued by other states provided that those states would recognize Alabama's pistol license. This allows residents of the State of Alabama who have a valid pistol permit to carry their weapon in any of these states, and also authorizes persons from these states to carry a pistol in Alabama. Click the following link to see a list of these states:
There was no link or download for pistol permit application.