Author Topic: Just a few questions about carrying a knife...  (Read 2829 times)

dbizzy2010

• Liked: 0
    • View Profile
Just a few questions about carrying a knife...
« on: June 04, 2011, 11:15:44 PM »
Alright, as an 18 year old I know that as an adult I am well within my rights to own and carry a weapon so long as it is not a handgun.

However, I have a few questions to ask in which I want to make sure that I am 100% certain on before I do anything.

I know I can carry a folding knife or pocket knife as long as it is a legit pocket knife.

My friend has a folder knife that is one of those 15 inch long novelty jobs. It folds alright, but the thing is practically a small machete, and doesnt constitute as a pocket knife or anything of the sort.

Anyways, I recently purchased a United Cutlery boot knife, and I wanted to know if OC'ing the knife with it strapped to my belt would be a problem.

From what I understand, carrying it on my person in a vehicle is illegal and considered "concealed". Is this correct?

Also, is there a limit to blade length?
I have read the entire law about knives in Alabama, and really it is confusing (by the way I also checked out the petition and signed it).

I only intend to carry this blade out into the boonies (i.e. the local creek up here in Harvest, outside of Huntsville, that all of a sudden has seen a huge increase in some very very huge Alligator Gars, one of which chewed up a kid the other day) or when hiking or in a secluded area. I wouldnt be dumb enough to try walking past the madison courthouse knowing how people in that area of town are a bit touchy feely about these sort of things  ;)

I also own a massive Ka-Bar combat knife (however, thats really more of a collectible to me, I never take it out of the sheath lol). Hypothetically, if I can OC a boot knife, couldnt I OC that Ka-Bar? Just curious about that one.

Anyways, Im sure this is probably the most routine question on these forums, but if anyone has answers then thank your for your time guys :)

Kirbinator

• Liked: 432
  • I am not a lawyer.
    • View Profile
Re: Just a few questions about carrying a knife...
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 09:57:34 AM »
There is no state-wide preemption on blades.

I haven't researched how/if that applies to bayonets.
Who can endure toil, famine, stripes, imprisonment & death itself in vindication of his own liberty, and the next moment . . . inflict on his fellow men a bondage. -- Thomas Jefferson

"I've been at the mercy of men just following orders... never again!" -- Magneto

Ranger

• Liked: 665
  • AL Constitution Sec 26
    • View Profile
  • Region: Region 1
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 10:28:25 AM »
When knives are mentioned in the concealed carry laws, they normally mention dirks or bowie knives (fixed-blade knives carried in as sheath). Any folding pocket knife would not qualify. The length should not matter if the knife has a folding blade, but it makes them difficult to retrieve from the pocket and may make it difficult to sit down. Automatic knives and switchblades are legal in this state, as well. If you have a large sheathed knife, (bowie-style, Rambo, sword, etc.) as long as they are carried openly, you are legal. I would not recommend carrying a sword, either on your hip or across your back, but large knives in a sheath on your hip shouldn't be much of a problem.
Always engage your brain before you pull your gun...a quick wit is the best safety device for any gun! If you can't control your tongue, your temper or your tendency to act like a fool, you have no business carrying a gun! The rest of us will scout Boot Hill for your final resting place.

dbizzy2010

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 10:50:24 AM »
When knives are mentioned in the concealed carry laws, they normally mention dirks or bowie knives (fixed-blade knives carried in as sheath). Any folding pocket knife would not qualify. The length should not matter if the knife has a folding blade, but it makes them difficult to retrieve from the pocket and may make it difficult to sit down. Automatic knives and switchblades are legal in this state, as well. If you have a large sheathed knife, (bowie-style, Rambo, sword, etc.) as long as they are carried openly, you are legal. I would not recommend carrying a sword, either on your hip or across your back, but large knives in a sheath on your hip shouldn't be much of a problem.

Alright, thanks for the info.

What about in my car though? If I have a neck knife visibly on a chain around my kneck/strapped to my belt or a fixed blade sitting in the seat next to me out in the open (or say in the backseat out in the open) is that legal?

Just a small edit:

I live in the Monrovia/Harvest area just Northwest of huntsville (still in Madison county). In fact, Monrovia Middle School is less than a mile from my house.
Does anyone know anything about local laws up here?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 10:53:18 AM by dbizzy2010 »

Ranger

• Liked: 665
  • AL Constitution Sec 26
    • View Profile
  • Region: Region 1
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 10:54:32 AM »
You can carry ANY weapon openly displayed in the car EXCEPT for a PISTOL (handgun, revolver). The license is needed for a PISTOL (revolver, handgun) only. Just make sure the weapons (knives, rifles, shotguns) are openly displayed (uncovered). The concealed carry law (to charge you with CC) applies to all weapons. A license allows you to conceal only handguns.
Always engage your brain before you pull your gun...a quick wit is the best safety device for any gun! If you can't control your tongue, your temper or your tendency to act like a fool, you have no business carrying a gun! The rest of us will scout Boot Hill for your final resting place.

dbizzy2010

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 10:57:19 AM »
You can carry ANY weapon openly displayed in the car EXCEPT for a PISTOL (handgun, revolver). The license is needed for a PISTOL (revolver, handgun) only. Just make sure the weapons (knives, rifles, shotguns) are openly displayed (uncovered). The concealed carry law (to charge you with CC) applies to all weapons. A license allows you to conceal only handguns.

Thats what I needed to know.
Thanks guys!  :D

Mystic Lemur

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 01:05:59 PM »
I just want to add a note of caution: Like Kirbinator mentioned, there is no preemption statute for knives. That means county and local governments can (and in almost all cases have) passed their own weapons laws.

Take a look at the local ordinances where you live to find out what is prohibited, and start working to get bad knife laws repealed in your area. ;D

JohnH

• Liked: 171
  • Who watches the watchmen?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 07:53:53 PM »
I don't remember the name of the group, but there is a group dedicated to changing laws around the carrying of knives. Do a google search, I couldn't begin to tell you where to begin,  but I bet that you're a lot more computer savvy than an 'ol fat man like myself. You can carry a long gun, but be sure that where you are going to be camping and such it is legal. Aquaint yourself with the laws surrounding self defense as no matter with a knife or a gun, those laws still apply.
Can our form of government, our system of justice, survive if one can be denied a freedom because he might abuse it? Harlon Carter

"Fools", said I, "You do not know, Silence like a cancer grows"... But my words like silent raindrops fell... from "The Sound of Silence" by Paul Simon

Facebook Comments